Shorewood on the Sound is a community club that has been in existence for over 50 years. The dynamics of neighborhood, local and regional politics have always played a big role in our community. The strength of our residents has often developed the needed momentum to stop harmful initiatives from occurring in our area. Community activism has improved and maintained our quality of life.
There have been successes and failures in our history but, for the most part, our community has always banded together to slay the dragons threatening us. Let us hope we can continue to live in harmony with our neighbors and join forces to protect and preserve our community when needed.
This page explores that history as it was recorded in the minutes of the Community Club.
2010 – Present
This was a year of many reflections by the Community Club. For many years residents had complained about the lack of respect pet owners showed by leaving their pet poo on the streets and in bags left on the street. The newsletter addressed this situation in a discussion which eventually involved the Shorewood and White Center Communities. Members bridged barriers and bonded by showing their respect for every member of our communities. The CC’s usual seasonal activities were continued with much success. With Board approval the Beach Committee removed several dangerous trees from the beach property. A permit to build within Salmon Creek’s riparian buffer caused some neighbors to write to remind Burien of their responsibility to provide protection for Salmon Creek.
Events continue with the Easter Egg Hunt, Streets of Garage Sales, SummerFest, and the SalmonBake being the main events.
These were very quiet years in our neighborhood. We carried on our usual events, Easter Egg Hunt, Streets of Garage Sales, Summerfest, Salmon Bake, Christmas Lights Judging and our Annual Meeting. Jean Spohn, our Steward of Salmon Creek Ravine and Shorewood Park continued her Saturday morning work parties. At our 2012 Annual Meeting, we filled our Board with the addition of several new members who we expect to contribute new ideas for our community.
Events continue as in prior years. CC&R Committee holds public & private meetings for community education and input. Version 9 of the proposed CC&R update is published with the goal of having a final draft completed by early next year.
CC&R Committee completes final draft with widespread input from the community. Committee officially disbands in May after one last community meeting. Leaders in each individual CC&R addition to now continue the update process. Threats of lawsuits from a very small minority of residents stalls progress in Shorewood Additions #1 & #3. This leaves advocates in Shoremont #1 & #2 uneasy about proceeding without legal protection. All other events continue as in prior years.
Events continue as in prior years. Of note: Shoreview’s CC&R were upheld in court: 2.5 story height limit determined not to be in conflict with Burien zoning laws so the CC&Rs were judged to have priority. A minor CC&R update was recorded which made a point of mentioning view protections as one reason for the CC&Rs relevancy. Updating the bylaws was presented at the Annual Meeting. Eight Past Presidents attended this meeting, the majority there in support of following the intent of the current by-laws and leaving club protections and obligations to members, as written, in place. They agree to provide oversight of any proposed future updates, primarily to better define officer and board member powers and areas of responsibility.
Along with the Events that are the yearly Standard of Easter Egg Hunt, Streets of Garage Sales, Salmon Bake and Christmas Lighting the Board took on updating and revising the By Laws. With many hours of diligent work and monthly meetings by the By Laws Committee the Updated By Laws were passed at the Annual Meeting. We had a third party facilitator run the By Laws portion of the meeting. New Directories were sent out. It was a very full and productive year.
Updating our the website was looked at and begun. Discussion and raising the dues for 2108 was approved. The new dues will be $75 general membership and $60 for seniors. Since there are ongoing issues at the beach it was felt that the reserves need to be adequately built up. Also the cost of a website redesign was another consideration Meetings were held with the City of Burien in regards to the ongoing slide at the south end of the Community Beach. No resolution but monitoring continues. New Newsletter Editor and website administrator. The Quiet Skies Coalition gave a presentation at the Annual Meeting with their latest information on increased flight noise. There was also an Emergency Preparedness mini-presentation by Jon Newton and Lori Davis talked briefly about end of life preparedness.
Shorewood Sign on 28th Ave Replaced
The iconic three pole Shorewood sign at the corner of 28th Ave SW and SW 119th St was fractured beyond repair after 46 years of unabated attack by winter storm winds. This SOTS sign was installed in 1971 as an Eagle Scout Project.
1971 was a very busy year – set your way-back clock, what were you doing in 1971? Shorewood was unincorporated King County, President Richard M. Nixon was in the middle of his ill-fated presidency (1969-1974); Daniel J. Evans was Washington Governor, Wesley C. Uhlman was Seattle Mayor; Charles Manson was sentenced to death, since commuted to life, now 82 years old in Corcoran State Prison (CA); the world was still shocked by the deadliest storm in recorded history (1970) – the Bhola cyclone in Bangladesh, death toll estimated between 150,000 and 550,000 souls; Baltimore Colts defeat the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl V 16-13; All in the Family debuts on CBS; Joe Frazier defeats Mohammad Ali at Madison Square Gardens; Apollo 15 mission to the moon – David Scott and James Irwin are first to joy-ride in the lunar rover; Walt Disney World opens in Orlando, FL; D.B. Cooper hijacks a Boeing 727 (NW Flight 305) between Portland and Seattle extorting $200,000 then parachuting out at 100 knots/10,000 feet over Oregon never to be seen again; Coach Jim Owens led the Huskies to an 8-3 record for 3rd place in the Pacific-8 Conference; “Joy to the World” by Three Dog Night tops the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles followed by Rod Stewart’s “Maggie Mae” and Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven”, and the Shorewood sign was installed. What were you doing?
The crew: Craig Marocco (11905 28th Ave SW), Jack Lane (2802 SW 119th St), Jon Newton (11900 28th Ave SW), Roger Redifer (12015 Marine View Dr), Michael Boler (11914 Marine View Dr), and Guy Lawrence (11829 Marine View Dr). The “supervisors” (at various times), Laurie Marocco, Teri Newton, and Kim Redifer. Trips back to a store: 3 (standard for a Man Project). Tools: post hole digger, shovels, chainsaw, hammer drill, hole boring saws, auger bits, chisel & screwdrivers, digging bar, ropes and levers, wheelbarrows, pressure washer, hammer and sledge, welder……….and a Sharpie. No duct tape was used in this project.
Thinking to myself, “How would Fred Henzi do this?”, we formulated an approach using applied mechanical advantage of levers and fulcrums, and sweat equity to remove the rotted poles. After Guy, Craig and Jon levered out the two smaller poles, Michael sawed the main pole, while Guy and Craig pulled tension on the cut off. The pole exploded on the ground it was so rotten to the core. Michael and Jon bent steel bands around the new tall pole to strengthen against the winter winds, secured by 6 in lag bolts and welding. Everyone took turns boring a 2-3/8 in hole through the pole to receive the sign pipe. That was an exercise in meeting in the middle to make it through the pole!! We rolled the main pole up the road and pivoted the base into the hole. Again Fred’s levers and fulcrums were applied to raise and drop the beast into place. Leveled up & temporarily anchored by three support stays. The two smaller poles went into place by “manly demonstrations” of strength, (followed by Ibuprofen in the evening!). The pole bases are on a drainage gravel bed so end rot is limited. The whole structure is anchored against Nature by four 60# bags of cement.
Craig and Laurie, who now own Fred and Joan Henzi’s house, contributed a cement seagull Fred had on his fence to adorn the top of the pole; Teri supervised the “exact placement”. Now the gull channels Fred’s spirit to watch over our replacement project and the neighborhood. Laurie will do some plantings around the area to further “beach-ify” the look.
Forty-six years after an Eagle Scout put the sign in, the replacement project included an Eagle Scout. Thanks to the work and care of these neighbors, our iconic 28th Ave SW Shorewood sign is ready to welcome a new generation to our great community. Thanks team!
Submitted by Jon M. Newton
2000 – 2009
2000 The long awaited construction of the new 230-foot beach property seawall began and was completed within two months. Savings and a neighborhood assessment of $50 per household were used to finance some of the work, while much of the rest came from a donation by beach neighbor Michael Steiner. Wilkinson Sandstone was chosen for both its durability and aesthetic value. Long sloping steps were installed to the north end of the wall for easy access to the beach. The picnic tables received all new boards and seats. Two fire pits with grates were included in the beach upgrades.
This was a Directory Year so all the surveys went out to residents asking their input into the club, what they wanted to participate in and what they would be willing to volunteer for. As usual, there was an excellent response from the community.
2001/2002 – The Nisqually Earthquake strikes February 28, 2001 at 10:55 am PST with a 6.8 magnitude. Epicenter is 20 km NE of Olympia at a depth of 52 km. Many homes are shaken and some are damaged worse than others. The earthquake caused a massive landslide in Salmon Creek Ravine. A new creek, locally dubbed “Earthquake Creek” is tapped from the aquifer and triples the water volume in Salmon Creek.
Undergrounding continues to be a major issue with City Light – no forward movement. The Third Runway Fight continues. The most popular annual events continue to be the Easter Egg Hunt, Streets of Garage Sales and the SalmonBake, now free to all CC members. Burien begins the Neighborhood Planning process which includes Shorewood CC boundaries in the first ever Neighborhood Plan in Burien.
2003 – 2004 – SOTS Board gave $500 to the Salmon Creek Restoration Fund. Burien’s Comprehensive Plan officially adopts the Salmon Creek Neighborhood Plan which emphasizes the protection and enhancement of Salmon Creek’s environment. A proposal was sent to City Light for undergrounding the wires on only one block of Marine View Dr SW. SOTS donated five tables to Shorewood Elementary School. A natural habitat project to bring back native species began at the Beach and spread to include some uphill areas above 30th Ave SW. Work began on Shorewood Park to free it of invasive plants. Jean Spohn began leading ivy pulls there and the locally known Fred Henzi Steps were build along the path running through it. Candidate night was a huge success. Some wear and tear on the beach seawall was being monitored. The SalmonBake was one of the best ever with lots of home cooked additions, fantastic weather and about 150 people attending. The City of Burien completed repairs to the storm drain by the beach. Dues were raised to $50 and $40 for seniors.
2005 – 2006 – After several years of neglect the shorewoodonthesound.org web page was revived. “Neighbors working together to maintain a comfortable, friendly, secure community” became the club’s official mission statement. A retaining wall 42’ long and 3’ high, made of concrete blocks, was placed along the beach path in an attempt to stabilize the bank. We adopted Shorewood Park in the “Adopt a Park” program. A Beach Gate agreement was reached between the 30th Ave Homeowners Assn and SOTS CC regarding ownership, operation, and beach access for members and guests. The residents of 30th Ave SW (beach properties) paid for a car gate and SOTS paid for the pedestrian gate. We worked hard to reestablish our relationship with Burien officials and the new City Manager attended several of our CC Board Meetings.
2007 – The Baby Diaper Drive for baby bum covers was, well, something new. Ivy pulls continued the long process of removing English ivy from Shorewood Park. Neighbors of Seahurst Park (NoSP) formed and begin their campaign to stop development of the sensitive slope above the park. “Sluffing” of the slope along Shorewood Drive south of the sewer treatment plant caused the road to be closed for over a year. Gabions with riprap backfill proved to be an inadequate fix as the new wall quickly failed, so all was removed and a concrete and steel curtain wall was installed instead.
2008 – The old Shorewood Elementary school was razed and a brand new one rose in its place, opening in time for fall 2008 classes. Shorewood CC provides some of the paving stones for their entrance walkway. Ray Hetrick removed, repaired and refinished all of our neighborhood Shorewood signs to nearly new condition – no charge. The Third Runway, first proposed by the Port of Seattle in 1986, finally opened on November 20, 2008, after a long and bitter legal battle. Some residents noticed increased noise and fuel smells. All were encouraged to call 433-5393 to let SeaTac know about it. The annual Easter Egg hunt had 70 – 75 youngsters scrounging for candy. Streets of Garage Sales was more popular than ever. The SalmonBake had 135 attendees wolfing down 120 lbs of Salmon and Halibut. SummerFest was revived as CommunityFest, but instead of blocking Marine View Dr was instead held on the grounds of St Paul’s Lutheran church. The Annual Meeting was held for the first time at the new Shorewood Elementary School. The Holiday Home Decorating Contest nearly causes air traffic diversions for planes approaching SeaTac. A new extension to the retaining wall above the beach path was proposed.
2009 – Our CC enjoyed consistent attendance and prosperous times. All events continued but CommunityFest reverted back to SummerFest and moved back to it’s old location on Marine View Drive. We reached out to the Three Tree Point neighborhood and contributed to, and benefited from, their Independence Day fireworks display. The Board prevailed against a small group of homeowners from SW 130th St who tried to get Burien to install traffic calming devices along the southern entrance to our neighborhood. The creation of three full stop intersections and installation of speed bumps was avoided and new signage was installed instead.
1990 – 1999
In 1990 dues are increased to $20. C.C. takes up discussions on the incorporation of Burien, property tax reform, overhead power lines, natural gas mains, and airport noise and expansion. Salmon Creek Greenbelt is established thanks to the efforts of Bob Wise, Bob Edgar, and their committee. King County takes charge, on June 18th, of the 77 acres creating the the first piece of property to be preserved as part of the Washington State Open Spaces Initiative.
In 1991 the Salmon Creek clean-up and improvement program begins with over 1,000 seedling trees planted by volunteers. The Burien campaign for incorporation goes on. C.C. opposes third runway at SeaTac, donates $500 to the fight. Production of excellent Newsletters, community directories and social events continues.
In 1992 Burien residents vote to incorporate and we become the northern most part of the City of Burien. C.C. continues to oppose third runway. More trees are planted. CPR classes are offered.
In 1993 more social events are enjoyed with the emphasis on young families and children. Shorewood’s demographics are shifting as long-time residents give up their homes. The Summerfest Street Party on Marine View Drive served up hot dogs, kids games and summer fun. A Children’s Christmas Party was held at Shorewood School.
In 1994 a Softball Team is a new development. Underground wiring is proposed for the third time. Since 1977 the costs have skyrocketed increasing from $1,700 to $8,500 per lot to bury the wires. C.C. helped to sponsor Candidates Nights in Burien. Our neighbors attend Burien council meetings. Members become active in Burien affairs such as Parks and Recreation and the Art Gallery. Block Watch Program addresses problems of stolen mail, car theft and burglaries. Beach bulkhead maintenance continues to be a major issue.
In 1995 dues are increased to $25 to help create a fund for beach and bulkhead improvements. Salmon Creek Greenbelt affords nature hikes right behind the sewer treatment plant. Red foxes, bald eagles, osprey, even otters are spotted in the area. The Pack-Rat Sale is revived as Shorewood Streets of Garage Sales with numerous “gold mines” scattered about the community. Diner and dancing at the European Konnektion was a night out for adults. TV cable company installs fiber optic cable to parts of the neighborhood. C.C. petitions Burien asking for the establishment of a Local Improvement District (L.I.D.) to bury the overhead wires after 68% of residents approve. Beach property gets new signs, fencing and a gate, along with much needed maintenance. Shorewood Book Club is organized. Burien Heritage Society begins to record oral histories in our community. C.C. appointed Gene Pugh as our first Club Historian. Summer events are especially successful.
In 1996 Burien allocates $25,000 to conduct a feasibility study and special benefit study for burying overhead wiring. Tree trimming and maintenance on the beach property is given top priority. A long range plan for restoring the beach area and Salmon Creek Greenbelt to their natural state was created. For the first time e-mail addresses become part of the Shorewood Directory and a web page is proposed for Shorewood. C.C. celebrates 50th anniversary at annual meeting in November with a presentation by our first club President Cecil Tice followed by delicious anniversary cake. Shorewood residents celebrate Christmas with the first Shorewood Christmas Home Decorating Contest. Prizes were awarded for the best (and worst) Christmas light displays.
In 1997, after several years of review, the C.C. By-Laws were updated and approved at the annual meeting by the general membership, including expansion of Shorewood boundaries to include 14 neighbors east of 26th Avenue SW.
Also in 1997 and 1998 the underground wiring is still up in the air. More new plantings are made on the community beach property. Easter Egg Hunt entertains over 75 children and their parents on the beach at low tide. SummerFest adds Dixieland Jazz Band. SalmonBake continues as one of the most popular events. Block Watch groups expand. Locals fight Port of Seattle’s third runway proposal.
In 1999 the Community Club was involved in developing Burien’s zoning and Comprehensive Plan. Shorewood residents worked hard to convince the Burien City Council to not increase our area’s zoning density. Marvin Jahnke led the fight by encouraging over 300 Shorewood residents to sign petitions that were added to those from the Three Tree Point, Hurstwood, Seahurst, Lake Burien, and Maplewild neighborhoods.
Shorewood’s Web Page is finally activated. No progress on underground wiring and no repairs of our local storm-water problems. We are not high on Burien’ s priority list.
Best events were Streets of Garage Sales, Easter Egg Hunt, SummerFest, SalmonBake, and Holiday Decorations.
1980 – 1989
1980-1981 no minutes available.
In 1982 Shorewood on the Sound Community Club reincorporated with new By-Laws excluding racial verbiage. Beach property officially deeded to the C.C. The Metro Sewer is planning to dump sewage effluent near Seahurst Park. This brings the community to attention. A five-year battle ensues, citizens versus “city hall.” Citizens to Save Puget Sound finally wins and the sewer is rerouted.
The first house to house survey of residents is undertaken in 1983 and results in the creation of the first Shorewood Directory.
In 1985 interest shifts toward SeaTac Airport problems, with monitoring of flight paths and noise problems. The Block Watch program is promoted to prevent crime and vandalism in Shorewood. A Tree Committee sets up a program to facilitate neighborly approaches to view-blocking trees. Good publicity on this in the Newsletter is a positive step to problem solving. The frustrations of maintaining the beach are again prompting talk of selling it.
A Community Survey in 1986 indicates that the majority of residents want to keep the beach property. Nobody is eager to take on the leadership of the C.C. Our representatives attend Highline Community Council. Welcome Wagon greets many new neighbors. Summer picnics are very popular. Two big threats begin to surface: (1) “Shorewood Developers” Anderson and Previs propose to build at least 50 homes in “the canyon” area of Salmon Creek (now the Salmon Creek Greenbelt); (2) Port of Seattle presents plans for a third runway at SeaTac Airport.
In 1988 Board members took turns as chairman of the C.C. as nobody wanted to be president. Bob Wise and his committee follow developments of the “Shorewood Developers” and lead the fight in the three-year battle to prevent plunder of the Salmon Creek area. Ongoing problems continue with dogs, speeding cars, crime, beach vandalism. Incorporation of Burien is proposed with Shorewood included in the new city.
Terry Klukas becomes the first woman president of the Shorewood Community Club in 1989. Almost 250 families pay dues. Over 100 attend the Salmon Bake. Golf Tournament is popular. C.C. declares opposition to Shorewood Developers. C.C. supports Citizens Against Overhead Power Lines. Airport continues to threaten expansion.
1970 – 1979
In 1970 Shorewood Community Club joined with Normandy Park objecting to any park or scenic drive being developed in or through the cities.
South King County threatened to secede from the county in 1972 due to neglect of our area. Airport noise problems are addressed for the first time. Vandalism on the beach goes on, even without the bath-house. Lack of interest in C.C. meetings shown by very poor attendance. Should the club become somewhat dormant? Sell the Beach?
Underground wiring is addressed again in 1977. Since 1965 the cost estimate has increased by $1,000 to $1,700 each plus side yard work. It is thought to be too expensive (again) and died for lack of support. The June community Pack-Rat Sale is a big success.
1978-1979 no minutes available.
1960 – 1969
In 1960 damage from storm drainage washed 15,000 cubic yards of sand into Puget Sound near the beach. County rejected a $50,000 claim from the community for damages. The Shorewood Yacht and County Club was proposed. A $750 membership would buy stock in the corporation to pay for clubhouse building. This project died for lack of support.
In 1961 the C.C. petitioned for removal of Lakewood Housing Project in White Center. housing Authority of King County built 200 new units to replace 400 old ones.
By 1963 most of the kids had grown up and the teen programs were dropped from C.C. activities. Extensive programs considered for beach in summers. Vandalism at the beach continues, padlocks are installed and beach keys issued to members. New King County Park to go into Seahurst area.
Underground wiring petitions circulated in 1965 at a cost of $700 maximum per household. Not enough signatures were obtained to pass in lower Shorewood. Shoreview approved (by one vote!) after they worked together to trim trees for better views if neighbors would approve undergrounding.
In 1966 the Beach bath-house was smashed up in April, repaired during the summer and then totally destroyed in November. No success at all in finding culprits. Bulkhead at the local beach now costs about $300 a year for repairs. Seahurst Park needed comprehensive planning. C.C. members urged to contact Legislators regarding the need for a parallel bridge at the First Avenue South Drawbridge. Mass Rapid Transit proposals studied.
In 1968 the C.C. fought the Forward Thrust proposal to “complete Marine View Drive as a scenic arterial from Alki Point to Dash Point, as a four-lane highway.”
1950 – 1959
In 1950 work continued on the bath house at the beach. Ladies Silver Tea was established as an annual event. Shorewood kids were sent to Mt. View School, but buses were not provided. After much pressure from local residents, construction on Shorewood School began and continued into the next year. There were so many children in the local area double shifts were threatened as soon as it opened. Local (irate) citizens went to the school board again and convinced them of the need for “The Annex.”
1952 saw the annexation of Shorewood to the Southwest Suburban Sewer District. Garden clubs organized planting of the flowering cherry trees in the community. Volunteers planted 2,000 seedlings of cedar and fir on beach property. Highline School District had no kindergarten, so Shorewood Pre-School was organized to run their own school. Helen Schmieden convinced the school board to allow parents with pre-schoolers to install their own building on the grounds of the Shorewood School. She arranged to get a disbanded war-housing unit in 1953. They remodeled it, added to it and moved into it in 1954, all for $1,500, thanks to donated time and labor. Charging an average of $6 per child per month the kindergarten paid its rent, paid its teacher ($265-375 per month) and provided all necessary equipment.
By 1954 Shorewood C.C. had 85 paid-up members. Negotiations were going on for a sewage treatment plant. Storm drainage problems caused damage so drainage easements were established. A Clubhouse Committee was formed, for the second time in five years, to study feasibility of building a clubhouse.
At this time SW 116th Street did not connect with Ambaum Boulevard. So in 1955 residents petitioned the county to bridge the canyon on 116th Street just west of Ambaum Boulevard, to create better access to our area. Road improvements that year included street lights, stop signs, guard rails, and fire hydrants. Shorewood roads were finally accepted by the county. The Sewer Treatment Plant was being completed. Teen activities included skating and dancing parties, dance lessons taught by Tices, queens selected for SeaFair. Teens delivered newsletters and sold light bulbs.
Also at about this time Ed Pfafman built a wonderful big covered patio on his house at 12209 Marine View Drive SW, which very quickly became the community center for all ages. Ed and Venus were truly magnanimous in letting the neighbors use it. When the patio was destroyed in the early 1990’s it ended an unmatched era of friendly generosity in Shorewood.
In 1957 the beach bath-house was wrecked by vandals who climbed over chain-link fence, broke down locked doors, and smashed toilets and sinks. Plans were made to install sewers in Shorewood. The First Avenue South Drawbridge was opened for traffic.
The “Highline Project” at Highline High School was promoted by Associated Clubs of South King County. Bill Moshier of Shorewood was active in this group and influential in developing the plan for the extensive array of ball fields. When Bill died suddenly, Moshier Field was named in his memory. The Challenge of Community Leadership by Bill Moshier (1958).
1959 brought new gates and four-foot fencing to the beach. Problems of rifles and horses on the beach. Seahurst State Park plan proposed.
1939 – 1949
The Shorewood-Shoreview area was all originally owned and subdivided by Dr. George Standring. When Ed and Venus Pfafman arrived in 1939 they built the first house in the new Shorewood community, at the corner of Marine View Drive and SW 122nd. Jack Kirkbride built soon afterward on Standring Court.
By 1941 the lots were being discovered, especially by Boeing people. The Cecil Tice, Walt Powell, and Dean Phare families all bought their lots at just about the time of Pearl Harbor. Cecil and Jeanne Phare bought 3/4 acre from Dr. Standring for $650 placing $50 down and paying $15 a month.
From 1941 to 1945 World War II slowed down further development here, but by 1944 the Harold Grotle, Fred Zetzsche, Bruce Christy, “Buck” Goddard and Bill Moshier families had bought properties. Louise and Paul Baker moved into the home where Louise still lives on Marine View Drive. Lots were selling for about $1,000. Usual terms were $100 down and $25 a month.
The Shorewood on the Sound Community Club (C.C.) had its first meeting in July, 1946, when there were about 20 homes in the area.
Being quite isolated before the days of two-car families, Shorewood became a very close-knit community. Mothers were at home with their children so socializing among the neighbors was very important. The Women’s Committee organized activities for the children. Bridge clubs and garden clubs were formed. There were potlucks and work parties at the beach. Several dances were scheduled each year. The first C.C. Dance was held at the West Seattle Golf Club for the price of $2 per couple.
In or around 1946 the Community Club’s Beach Committee laid out a path to the beach. The Road Committee tried to get the county to upgrade our streets. A Restrictions Committee formed to try to enforce regulations in our deeds. Due to the shortage of building materials after the war this committee had to be lenient enforcing the rules because people often could not finish their houses in a timely fashion.
At this time the water system that supplied the community was owned by Joe Burke. There were two pumps, one pumping 40 gallons per minute, with wonderful clear spring water from the canyon area. Fire hydrants were needed but not available except at army surplus stores. There was only one paid fireman in the district, three stations and 30 volunteers. The C.C. discussed buying a siren from an army surplus store.
In 1947 By-laws were drafted and officially adopted by the Shorewood on the Sound Community Club.
In 1948 raw sewage pollution problems at the beach were addressed. A monthly newsletter was instituted by Bill Moshier. Shorewood’s first progressive dinner was held on February 24, 1948. Community identity signs were erected. Furse Lines coordinated a bus route to Shorewood. A bad caterpillar infestation was fought cooperatively by the neighbors.
In 1949 the C.C. had to sue Dr. Standring to get title to the community beach property. A Blood Bank account was established. We studied the feasibility of building a Community Club House. A Community Beautification Contest was held with efforts made to build attractive mailbox shelters, clean up and landscape street right-of-ways as well as gardens. Women’s Committee supervised children’s supper activities at eh beach. Beach Committee supervised work parties, installed a water line and worked on the bath-house. There were two dances, a potluck dinner, several progressive dinners, a kid’s Easter Egg hunt and a Halloween party.
During 1949 the Water System Committee began the study of supplying water to the area. This developed into a very divisive 2-year controversy which threatened to ruin the C.C. organization. It was finally ruled that the water problem could not be discussed at the C. C. meetings. Ultimately a U.L.I.D. was formed for Water District #61 to finance a new installation. When it was finally settled in 1952, neighbors were still smarting over the battle. Bill Moshier organized a “Bury-the-Hatchet” party (actually buried an ax on a vacant lot) and the “wounds were healed” so the neighbors could become friends again.